Chiastic Structure in the Bible

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
AmosAu2

Re: Chiastic Structure in the Bible

#21 Post by AmosAu2 » 2 years ago

Hi Bobcat,

Are you suggesting that he might be "getting in for his cut?"

Or he might even, "pine away," OR he could, "spruce up."

He does of course need to do this before, "he brings the hammer down."

Sorry but I couldn't help myself.

Regards,
Amos.

Stranger

#22 Post by Stranger » 2 years ago

by Bobcat »

"I see" said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Bobcat (Ex 4:11)

"I wonder from one place to another.... my daily bread to win"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez5r_EGmMUc&lis ... rt_radio=1

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

Stranger, (Job 1:21)

Bobcat

#23 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

The several posts on cement were moved to here for topical reasons. If you would prefer a more specific thread for those posts, that can be done.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#24 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

On this post (post # 14 of this thread) I proposed a tentative chiastic structure that would fit the entire seventh day of God's rest. It looked like this:
A. All is as it should be (Adam & Eve before sin)

. . . B. Pre-flood era, roughly 1600 years (Mankind descends, angels tested; See here & cmp. note #2.)

. . . . . . C. Flood of Noah's day. (Destruction of antediluvian world.)

. . . . . . . . . D. Roughly 3000/2340 years of patriarchal/Israel history. (2950/2300 BCE to 33 CE; See here)

. . . . . . . . . . . . E. Christ's 1st advent as the pivot or center point.

. . . . . . . . . D^ Roughly 2000 years of spiritual Israel history (33 CE to present)

. . . . . . C^ Christ's 2nd advent. (Destruction of this age.)

. . . B^ Millennium and post Millennium test of humans (Mankind restored, humans tested)

A^ All is restored to how it should be.

Compare that with this thread which is based on Acts 17:30-31. Paul's words there in Acts 17:30-31 break post flood history down into three segments:
A. "The times of ignorance that God overlooked." (Ac 17:30a)

B. "Now [during which] he commands all people everywhere to repent" (Ac 17:30b)
. . . (Compare with Christ's 1st advent [Heb 9:26] which represents a 'conclusion of previous ages')
. . . ("Now" in Acts 17:30 would equate to "the last days," for which see here.)

C. "He has a fixed day on which he will judge the world by a man whom he has appointed" (Ac 17:31)
. . . (This would begin "the 2nd time Christ appears" [Heb 9:28])

Paul goes on to say that the guarantee or assurance that all this will happen is the resurrection of Jesus Christ (which would also imply his death). (Ac 17:31b) This would coincide with the placement of Jesus' first advent as the center or pivot point in the above chiasm.

Putting the above chiasm together with Acts 17:30-31 would result in this:
A. All is as it should be. Start of 7th rest day. (Adam & Eve before sin)

. . . B. Pre-flood era to before flood (Mankind descends, angels tested; See here & cmp. note #2.)

. . . . . . C. Flood of Noah's day. (Great destruction of antediluvian world.)

. . . . . . . . . D. Roughly 3000/2340 years of patriarchal/natural Israel history. (2950/2300 BCE to 33 CE)
. . . . . . . . . . . ("The times of ignorance that God overlooked." - Ac 17:30a)

. . . . . . . . . . . . E. Christ's 1st advent as the center or pivot point of the 7th day.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Corresponds also with the serpent's bruising of the Seed's heal in Gen 3:15)

. . . . . . . . . D^ Roughly 2000 years of spiritual Israel history (33 CE to present)
. . . . . . . . . . . (The "now [during which] God commands all people everywhere to repent" - Ac 17:30b)

. . . . . . C^ Christ's 2nd advent. (Great destruction of old order.) . . . . . .┐

. . . B^ Millennium and post-test of humans (Mankind restored, tested) . . └ Acts 17:31 (Judgment of earth by Jesus)

A^ All is restored to how it should be. End of 7th rest day.
The C^ & B^ parts would describe Acts 17:31 where "[God] has set a day on which he will judge the world by a man whom he has appointed." These two portions would also correspond with the Seed's bruising of the serpent in the head in Gen 3:15.

See this post for possible corrections to the post-flood timeline. The standard dating from the MT puts the flood at around 2303 BCE (WT = 2370; Non-WT = 2348; Corrected with LXX/SP = 2953).

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#25 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

I edited post # 24 (just above) a good bit.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#26 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

A web site and youtube channel dedicated to the Bible as literary art:
Here is the website.

Here is the youtube channel.

I got both of these links from this page which has a very interesting discussion on Matthew's (chapter 13) relation to Psalm 78.

The link just above also provided a link to a web-based version of Constable's Notes here. (I put this link here for the sake of my memory.)

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

goghtherefore

#27 Post by goghtherefore » 2 years ago

Hi Bobcat

Regarding: "Interesting mathematical patterns...."

Might this link fit with this topic?

http://www.musingsaboutgod.com/interest.htm

Christian love,

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Bobcat

#28 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Hi goghtherefore,

Thank you for the link. For reference purposes I am linking it back to this post (which is post # 17 in this thread).

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#29 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Another resource for chiasmus in the Bible: Here.

The text on the Home ("Welcome") page provides a down to earth discussion of some of the usefulness of chiastic structure in the Bible. There is more on that site I want to explore as time allows.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#30 Post by Bobcat » 4 months ago

A curious web page on chiasmus in the homicide accounts in the Bible: Here.

I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. But I wanted to catalog it for future reference. It is the work of someone at BYU.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index