Chiasmus of Revelation

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Chiasmus of Revelation

#51 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

On this post I made a comparison of the 7 trumpets from Rev 8-11 and the 7 bowls of Rev 15-16. The comparison looked like this:
Trumpets
. . Bowls

1. Earth (Rev 8:7)
. . Earth (Rev 16:1-2)

2. Sea (Rev 8:8-9)
. . Sea (Rev 16:3)

3. Rivers and fountains (Rev 8:10-11)
. . Rivers and fountains (Rev 16:4-7)

4. Sun, moon, stars (Rev 8:12)
. . Sun (Rev 16:8-9)

5. Darkness, pit, locusts (Rev 9:1-11)
. . Darkness on beast's throne( Rev 16:10-11)

6. Euphrates river (Rev 9:13-21)
. . Euphrates river (Rev 16:12-16)

7. Loud voices: Kingdom of world has become God's/Christ's (Rev 11:15-19)
. . Loud voice: It is finished! (Rev 16:17-21)
What I am focusing on in this post is the comparison between trumpet 7 and bowl 7. This is what I had:
7. Loud voices: kingdom of world has become God's/Christ's (Rev 11:15-19)
. . Loud voice: It is finished! (Rev 16:17-21)
I pointed out in the post that there was a similarity between the corresponding "targets" of each. But I had as "targets" for the 7th trumpet and bowl, "loud voice(s)." Obviously, there is something left to be desired in that conclusion!

In fact, the "target" for the 7th bowl is "the air." (Rev 16:17) This caught my attention when the public speaker at the KH read Eph 2:1-3. This was the moment a light went off in my head. (It also tells you where my mind is during public talks. :whistle: )

In Eph 2:2 Paul refers to "the ruler of the authority of the air." (NWT) The NET has, "the ruler of the domain of the air." A footnote (#6) at the word "domain" (here) says, "That is, “[place of] authority”; see BDAG 353 s.v. ἐξουσία 6."

BDAG (Bauers 3rd ed. Greek-English Lexicon) p. 353 gives as a gloss for ἐξουσία in Eph 2:2, "The sphere in which power is exercised." BDAG gives several other examples of this usage: Lk 4:6; 22:53; 23:7; Col 1:13.

In a similar vein, Hoehner's Ephesians, An Exegetical Commentary (Harold W. Hoehner, p. 312) says about ἐξουσία:
"Although some translate it in [Eph 2:2] as "power" or "authority," it is better translated as "domain" or "realm" (cf. Luke 22:53; 23:7; Col 1:13). The genitive of ἐξουσία is a genitive of subordination indicating that the devil is the ruler over the realm of the air."
Regarding the "air" in Eph 2:2, this same commentary says:
In the present context it is the place or sphere of the activity of the devil. It denotes both universality and location. . . in Paul's day the air was considered as "the dwelling place of the evil spirits."

. . . Therefore, the unregenerate not only walk according to the values of the present age but also under the control of the leader who rules over this evil world."
The upshot of all this is that "the air" in Eph 2:2 is, in effect, the location of its evil ruler, the devil. Which brings us back to Rev 16:17.

In Rev 16:17 the 7th bowl is poured out "into the air." A "voice" (God's) then says, "It is finished." Which is then followed by 'lightning, thunders and a tremendous earthquake.'

Similarly, at the 7th trumpet, "voices" announce that "the kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and His Christ." (Rev 11:15) This is followed in Rev 11:19 with 'lightning, thunder, and an earthquake and a great hailstorm.' (Compare also Rev 16:21)

Thus, the 7th trumpet announces the end of Satan's rule. And the 7th bowl also has the domain of Satan, "the air," as its target. So I changed the comparison of the 7th trumpet and bowl to this:
7. Kingdom of world becomes God's/Christ's (Rev 11:15-19; The end of Gentile Times which started at Tower of Babel.)
. . Poured out on the "air" (Eph 2:2, the domain of Satan; Rev 16:17-21)
As an interesting extra related to the trumpets, see this article on Yom Teruah and The Seventh Trumpet on the BP site.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#52 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

This post is focusing on the first "explanatory aside" in the "F^" section, or Rev 14:6-13. (See this post for the full chiasm of Revelation.):
Chiasm of Revelation . . . . . Explanatory Asides

. F^ Rev 13:1-14:5 . . . . . . . . Rev 14:6-13 & Rev 14:14-20
. .This is the portion being examined: └───┘

Rev 14:6-13 is a string of three messages by three separate angels, with the third angel followed by "a voice from heaven." The passage breaks down thusly:
Rev 14:6-7 An angel flying in mid-heaven and having everlasting good news to declare.

Rev 14:8 A second angel saying that Babylon the Great has fallen.

Rev 14:9-12 A third angel has a warning for anyone worshiping the beast or receiving the mark of the beast.

Rev 14:13 A voice from heaven states that those who die in union with the Lord 'from this time on' are happy/blessed.
It is the words of the third angel that have a chiastic structure (from this blog):
9 Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice,

A “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,

. . .B 10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger;

. . . . . .C and he will be tormented

. . . . . . . . .D with fire and brimstone

. . . . . . . . . . . .E in the presence of the holy angels

. . . . . . . . . . . .E’ and in the presence of the Lamb.

. . . . . . . . .D’ 11 “And the smoke [Comment: the smoke comes from the fire and brimstone]

. . . . . .C’ of their torment goes up forever and ever;

. . .B’ they have no rest day and night [Comment: the punishment/torment is full strength: i.e., there are no breaks; it continues both day and night],

A’ those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”
Note: Where the quoted portion has, "Comment: . . .," these are the comments of blogger L J Hooge trying to explain the relationship of one portion of the chiasm with its complement.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Dajo1

#53 Post by Dajo1 » 1 year ago

Just fiddling around here on this rainy Saturday.. been wondering if there is a Chiasmus type pattern between Genesis and Revelation.

GENESIS
A Creation ch 1&2
B Enemy within ch 3
C Fall ch 3
D Plan ch 3:15
E Badness / Neph
F Flood declared
G Flood ch 6&7
H Babylon confused lang
I?
J?
K?
J?
I?
H Nations united (internet)??
G Tribulation
F Woes ch 6
E War in heaven ch 12
D Chaos
C Raised
B Enemy gone ch 20
A Recreation ch 21
REVELATION

Bobcat

#54 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Dajo,

For some reason I missed your post above. It is good to (IMO) to fiddle around with ideas. Here is an attempt from the Biblical Chiasm Exchange to wrap the end of Revelation to the beginning of Genesis. Look also at the comments towards the bottom.

On another note, I added a link to the bottom of this post above. The link is to related material on the BP site.

Wishing you well,
Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#55 Post by Bobcat » 8 months ago

Linking a thread on the origin of the word Armageddon for reference purposes: Here.

Bobcat

Return to Main Index

Bobcat

#56 Post by Bobcat » 2 weeks ago

Cross-linking to a post that analyzes all occurrences of the "book of life" in Revelation: Here.

This thread is on the topic of Revelation 1:10 and the phrase, "the Lord's day."

Bobcat

Return to Main Index