There Will Be an Increasing of Lawlessness

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Kerry Huish

Re: There Will Be an Increasing of Lawlessness

#11 Post by Kerry Huish » 1 week ago

Matthew 24:12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.

Lawlessness does not just mean violent crime, it can cover violent crime, but the word lawlessness is much broader in scope.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... awlessness
lawlessness
noun [ U ]

behaviour that is illegal or not controlled by laws:

https://biblehub.com/strongs/greek/458.htm
◄ 458. anomia ► [Greek word translated as lawlessness]
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
iniquity, transgression, unrighteousness.
From anomos; illegality, i.e. Violation of law or (genitive case) wickedness -- iniquity, X transgress(-ion of) the law, unrighteousness.

As an example of the scope involved in the word lawlessness.
Misleading people, spiritually, is also considered a lawlessness as the context of Matthew 7 shows.

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

So a person saying that Matthew 24 has two applications with one being yet future and another saying that it has just one application that has already been fulfilled and only applies to the first century.
Like it or not, one of these persons is practicing a lawlessness.

Kind Regards

Kerry

Bobcat

#12 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Lawlessness does not just mean violent crime, it can cover violent crime, but the word lawlessness is much broader in scope.
See the last paragraph in post # 9. But thanks for the additional research.

So a person saying that Matthew 24 has two applications with one being yet future and another saying that it has just one application that has already been fulfilled and only applies to the first century. Like it or not, one of these persons is practicing a lawlessness.

If you are referring to my previous post (post # 10), I specifically said "Mt 24:3-35," not the whole of "Matthew 24." "Lawlessness," of all types, and including among professed Christians, has been a staple of the whole of the Christian era (which is the "last days" or the final "age" before judgment day - Heb 1:2; 9:26, 28; 1Co 10:11; Ac 17:30-31). But when someone uses "lawlessness" as a sign to indicate how near Jesus' return is, they contradict Mt 24:42, 44 & 25:13, and provide unnecessary opportunities for others to use conflicting statistics to scoff. (2Pe 3:3-4) In effect, trying to warn people about Christ's return by using "lawlessness" or wars or plagues, etc as signs, only serves as a sort of red herring, diverting people away from the real issues they should be concerned with. (Rev 9:20, 21; Ac 17:30)

Elsewhere (such as here) I have shown that there are many similarities between the first century fulfillment of Mt 24:3-35 and Rev 6:2-8 & 16:17-21. But there are also significant differences (such as no indication in Revelation of a flight such as in Mt 24:16-20, nor of any discussion of Babylon the Great in Mt 24:3-35, such as can be found in Rev 16:19.

For any interested, see this post for a discussion of the literary structure of Matthew 24 and how various markers divide Mt 24:3-35 (regarding the destruction of Jerusalem and its Temple) from what follows in Mt 24:36ff (regarding Jesus' parousia).

Bobcat

Index to Matthew 24 Sign Threads

Orchid61

#13 Post by Orchid61 » 1 week ago

2 Peter 3:3–6 (ESV): 3 knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. 4 They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5 For they deliberately overlook this fact, that the heavens existed long ago, and the earth was formed out of water and through water by the word of God, 6 and that by means of these the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished.

They even deny the existence of our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus.

Those scoffers calling themselves Gods.

Take care of your own heart not to fall for their crap. PRAY!!!!!!! :pray:

Love
Maria 🌷

Stranger

#14 Post by Stranger » 1 week ago

Orchid61 wrote:
1 week ago
They even deny the existence of our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus.

Those scoffers calling themselves Gods.

Take care of your own heart not to fall for their crap. PRAY!!!!!!!

Hi Maria,

Wise words! When lawlessness abounds which at this point is a constant feature, we need to have our highest degree of fearlessness out in front of it.( Isa 51:7)

Stranger, (Pr 13:14)