There Will Be Great Earthquakes

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: There Will Be Great Earthquakes

#31 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

And so you are stuck trying to explain how the following verses took place in the first century.

“For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.”
Actually, I don't hold that Jesus' parousia took place in the first century. Mt 24:23-28 is, in fact, a warning that the tribulation that befell the Jews (as described in Mt 24:21-22) would not include Jesus' parousia. Mt 24:23 says, "Then . . ." or "At that time . . ." if anyone tries to convince you that this is Jesus' parousia, don't believe them.
Pick a news spot where the colors meet.
Until I see a more logical explanation, I'll stick with: 1st question=Mt 24:4-35 and 2nd question=Mt 24:36ff.

Bobcat

Index to Matthew 24 Sign Threads

the good egg

#32 Post by the good egg » 3 years ago

Bobcat

Up the page you assert that these verses happened in the first century.

the good egg

#33 Post by the good egg » 3 years ago

BC

“In effect, the summary parable of Mt 24:32-35 ends the first half of the page”

This most certainly defines the second coming as first century

Bobcat

#34 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

“In effect, the summary parable of Mt 24:32-35 ends the first half of the page”

This most certainly defines the second coming as first century
I'm afraid I disagree with you on that.

Up the page you assert that these verses happened in the first century.
To be more exact, I hold Mt 24:4-35 to be the answer to the 1st question and Mt 24:36ff to be Jesus' answer to the second question.

Bobcat

the good egg

#35 Post by the good egg » 3 years ago

Bobcat

I posted too quickly. It’s getting well past my bedtime.

I want to continue this tomorrow, I am well pleased to go on.

I want to better understand your point of view regarding what’s with what, as they say.

I’m having trouble discerning from our exchange so far what you apply to which.

Sleep well.

Bobcat

#36 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

good egg,

For additional reading on how I understand things related to Matthew 24, see all of my posts on this thread. They cover (or link to) many of the points related to this topic.

Additionally, this post has a possible 'accidental' link between the 1st trumpet of Rev 8 (Rev 8:7 to be exact) and the "loud trumpet blast" of Mt 24:31. I say "accidental" because I was not looking for such a connection when I was doing the research on that thread.

Bobcat

the good egg

#37 Post by the good egg » 3 years ago

Bobcat.

I have had a chance to go over and read some of the other discussions you've had in the past, and I still cannot pin down what you are saying.
You seem to me to be 'saying it both ways' as the saying goes. But we'll let you explain it.

For instance, you posted yesterday...
"To be more exact, I hold Mt 24:4-35 to be the answer to the 1st question and Mt 24:36ff to be Jesus' answer to the second question."
So I have to ask, what is it that you believe the first question is?

I read, starting at Mt. 24:2-3, the disciples FIRST asked "‘Tell us, when will this be," and they asked this right after Jesus said "Truly I tell you, not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.’"
It's fairly clear to me that the FIRST question was in relation to the shocking news that they just received, that their beloved Temple was going to be sacked.

The SECOND question would then be obvious and expected. These very Jewish men were expecting "the kingdom to be restored" right then. SO, their question took the shape of, if not now, then when.
Hence we read the SECOND question, "and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

So, if I were to put that in plain English, in a rather unabridged form, it would appear like this.

"Lord, tell us, when is the Temple to be destroyed and since it's to be destroyed, contrary to what we would expect, then Lord what sign shall we have to indicate your coming at the end of the age."

Question (1) When will the Temple get destroyed.
Question (2) When will the Lord return at the end of the age, or as the KJ uses "at the end of the world"?

If I understand the questions as do you, then you apply the below statement by Jesus to the first century.

27 "the coming of the Son of Man. "
29 "the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken."
30 "Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 "And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

Correct me if I missed something.

You then insist as having taken place in the first century, (1) the second coming of our Lord Jesus, with all of the associated fanfare, the grand celestial events to announce His arrival, all the tribes of the Earth grieving and all eyes seeing Him come on the clouds with great power and glory. You also attribute (2) judgement day to the first century, the angels gathering the elect from every extremity of the Earth.

That would be preterism.

I will say this, if Jesus already came, judged the Earth and left, then we are all in trouble. And wasting our time.

TGE

the good egg

#38 Post by the good egg » 3 years ago

BC addendum

I would like to add if I may, that post #31 above has these two statement from you.
Actually,... Mt 24:23-28 is, in fact, a warning that the tribulation that befell the Jews ...
Note, you only go as far as verse 28

Until I see a more logical explanation, I'll stick with: 1st question=Mt 24:4-35 and 2nd question=Mt 24:36ff.
Bobcat

In the second sentence you go as far as verse 35.

The verses 28-35 are not descriptive of anything involving the first question, the first question being about the end of the Temple. Jesus is clearly discussing His return when he answers the second question in verse 30 regarding the sign they were asking about.. "Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man".

In your first statement you omitted it and in the second you included it. That is contradictory. But please take no offence.
You cannot have it both ways.

Bobcat

#39 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

Suit yourself, egg.

Bobcat

the good egg

#40 Post by the good egg » 3 years ago

Bobcat.

Have you been offended?