Memorial Season ?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Memorial Season ?

#51 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi LQ,

I think the WT is being disingenuous when they use "observe." They want it to appear that JWs keep Jesus command, but not have them partake as they seem to see partaking as a threat to their power structure. "Observe" could be taken in an active way to an outsider. But to the R&F it only means being there to watch.

After listening to today's WT, it is hard to believe that the GB are innocent in this. It only seems like an attempt to control, and prevent the masses of R&F from catching on to the few who are beginning to realize the scam the GB are carrying on.

The GB should know that their judgment is coming. (Rev 22:12, 15) They prefer their own position to letting the truth be known. (Jn 11:47-48)

By the way, good to hear from you. And I really appreciate your post here in this thread. It was a great addition to this discussion. I linked (put the post #) to it in the first post where I have many links to discussions on the Memorial.

Bobcat

Stranger

#52 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 year ago
For myself, the idea is foreign to the NT. On top of that, Gal 4:8-12 speaks against Christians establishing "days and months and seasons and years." Paul seems to express the idea that those who think in terms of those things are missing the whole point of Christianity.
The way I feel about it and to quote a "Far Post" is .... "Sure as winter follows fall, sure as maybe I will call, just remember the day"... "release the captive hearts"...

Stranger, (Mt 27:17)

goghtherefore

#53 Post by goghtherefore » 1 year ago

Re: "...to discussions on the Memorial."

My view regarding using the term "Memorial" has changed. The Last Supper, The Lord Evening Meal (or terms such as these) describes the occasion most appropriately, imo. Remembrance of our Lord Jesus Christ, to me, includes ever aspect of Jesus life, death and resurrection; not just memorializing His death.

.o2 worth,

Christian love and appreciation to all,

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

Bobcat

#54 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi go,

I agree with you on that. "Memorial" fits in nicely with the WT's use of the term "observance." One is 'memorializing' the occasion by coming as an 'observer.' The "Lord's Evening Meal" probably doesn't work so well with the WT since it would be kind of a stretch to think of attending a meal simply to watch it.

The WT's "event" might be better described as a travesty or a distortion.

Bobcat

Phoebe

#55 Post by Phoebe » 1 year ago

Remembrance of our Lord Jesus Christ, to me, includes ever aspect of Jesus life, death and resurrection; not just memorializing His death.
Yes, me too.

The dates, the details, the rituals....is that what the infinite and expansive Christian experience and life is about? You know, I just don’t think so.

Am I not eating his body and drinking his blood, every living moment I put faith in the Lord Jesus?

It seems to me..the early Christian congregations broke bread and drank wine regularly.

With holy love and reflection.
Is it possible that The Passover was no longer a date in the annual Calendar for Christians... but an ongoing living action and flame of hope. To be celebrated with energy, love and union... an external recognition of the inner acceptance of Christ’s gift.

Bobcat

#56 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Phoebe,

You might like the reasoning in this post. It is in line with the thoughts you expressed.

Bobcat

Phoebe

#57 Post by Phoebe » 1 year ago

Many, many thanks BobCat.

And such an interesting read - we can always rely on you to show us around the forum’s many halls of reference ‘books’ or as we call them, ‘Threads and Posts’.

Hope you and yours are keeping safe. 💐
Phoebe.

Bobcat

#58 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hope you and yours are keeping safe. 💐
Phoebe.

We is. :D Thank you.

Bobcat

DomineIvimus

#59 Post by DomineIvimus » 1 year ago

It would be interesting to read some more accounts from early followers about how they celebrated the meal. Aside from the verses in Corinthians, the Didache and the description given by Justin Martyr of the Rome congregation’s celebration in 155 CE, is anyone aware of any other accounts between those?

Bobcat

#60 Post by Bobcat » 1 month ago

Bumping this thread because the WT's "Memorial Season" is upon us.

Bobcat