Memorial Season ?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Get out of her

Re: Memorial Season ?

#41 Post by Get out of her » 2 years ago

LQ wrote:
Which "body" should one discern? His/her own? It's answered in verse 27: "respecting the body and the blood of the Lord". That said, what makes up "the body"? Go back one chapter to 1 Cor 10:17: "Because there is one loaf, we, although many, are one body, for we are all partaking of that one loaf." And forward one chapter to 1 Cor 12:12: "For just as the body is one but has many members, and all the members of that body, although many, are one body, so too is the Christ. 13 For by one spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink one spirit."

You ask, what would this imply with respect to children? Seems Paul believed children are sanctified when their parents were together, even if one was unbelieving. (1 Cor 7:14). Other than that, I know of know other statement in the Bible relating to children and their salvation, thus could not say with regards to partaking. One would have to judge for themselves.
Thank you LQ for your reply here. Moreover you are absolutely correct in your statements and I've been trying to reiterate these very points for the two years I've been on this website. However the questions you are responding to were actually rhetorical and designed to lead basically to the very conclusions you just articulated. The only question I'm actually posing is found in the last couple of paragraphs of my initial post.

Since Paul indicated there in 1 Corinthians 11:26 that this memorial observance would come to an end when our Lord would "arrive," the question that comes to my mind would be what exactly did he mean by this? Jesus had of course ALREADY arrived in at least some sense even before Paul penned these words here in 1st Corinthians, and yet we find that this "death of the Lord" was nevertheless being "proclaimed" by this memorial observance over twenty years later in this case. Even more interesting is the fact that the setting here was one in which the divine marriage covenant had already been renewed for the fourth foretold time by the arrival of Jesus 22 years earlier and the birth of the kingdom that was associated with it. This means that the "arrival" in question was not in any way connected to the "kingdom of the son of his love," but rather to the long anticipated Millennial Reign. (1 Col 1:13)

So the question I am proposing we might want to ponder and discuss is basically the following:

Since this final foretold "arrival" or establishment of the theocratic nation was something directly attributed to the moment of the blowing of the "seventh trumpet" or what Paul refers to as the "last trumpet" there in 1 Corinthians 15:51-53, should we perhaps be recognizing that exact time as when we should discontinue our observance of the Memorial? (Re 11:15) OR might it have been the case that Paul was referring to the time in which the full power and authority of this Millennial Reign would be extended also upon the earth as opposed to simply the heavens.

After all, Paul had clearly indicated in this same chapter of Corinthians that all the remaining ones among the anointed would be "incorruptible and immortal" by the time that all the events outlined in this "last trumpet" were fulfilled. Moreover when we review the list of events foretold to accompany this "seventh trumpet" there in Revelation, we can see that this not the only part of the prophesy we are still waiting to experience.

My personal inclination is that we should be observing the Memorial until we witness or otherwise experience what Paul speaks of there in 1 Corinthians 15:51-53. But I was curious if anyone else might have some scriptures they'd like to produce on the topic for us to consider.

Agape love;
Sol

goghtherefore

#42 Post by goghtherefore » 2 years ago

An interesting, imo, link regarding establishing the date of our Lords last Supper:

http://www.heraldmag.org/2005/05ma_10.htm

Greetings

goghtherefore
“This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”
Luke 9:35

leaving_quietly

#43 Post by leaving_quietly » 2 years ago

Since this final foretold "arrival" or establishment of the theocratic nation was something directly attributed to the moment of the blowing of the "seventh trumpet" or what Paul refers to as the "last trumpet" there in 1 Corinthians 15:51-53, should we perhaps be recognizing that exact time as when we should discontinue our observance of the Memorial? (Re 11:15) OR might it have been the case that Paul was referring to the time in which the full power and authority of this Millennial Reign would be extended also upon the earth as opposed to simply the heavens.
My personal inclination is that we should be observing the Memorial until we witness or otherwise experience what Paul speaks of there in 1 Corinthians 15:51-53. But I was curious if anyone else might have some scriptures they'd like to produce on the topic for us to consider.
I agree with your personal inclination, also 1 Thess 4:14-17 and Matt 24:31.

Bobcat

#44 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

I added a link to the bottom of the first post in this thread that tries to answer the question about the composition of the wine that was used at the Last Supper. For ease of reference, here also is the link.

If you are or were a JW you might know that this is an issue with the WT (in the same way washing your hands up to the elbows was for the Pharisees).

Bobcat

menrov

#45 Post by menrov » 1 year ago

Hi, is it the wording or is it really that Christians should be observing the Memorial?? Should Christians observe (passive) Christ or follow him (active)?

I guess a Christian should actively have a similar meal like Jesus had, with bread and wine and eat and drink. Not because he/she is hungry but to show he / she belongs to Christ.

Or am I wrong?

Orchid61

#46 Post by Orchid61 » 1 year ago

Hi Menrov,

https://youtu.be/L2griVlfIxo

A beautiful video by Beroeans.net

He is even explaining how to make the Matzes, but in our country you can buy them in the supermarket.

Regards,
Maria

Bobcat

#47 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

This post (in this thread) shows the active verbs Paul used to describe the occasion. There is nothing passive about it, except in the instance where one did not consider himself worthy. (1Co 11:27-34) But note in those verses that the examining of oneself has to do with one's attitude for his brothers and sisters. (1Co 11:33-34) The context assumes that partaking is otherwise the norm for Christians. It is what Jesus commanded to be done in remembrance of him. The subject of whether one is anointed or where he will end up for eternity is just not part of the ceremony. It is about what Jesus did for us. (See LQ's post here about 'discerning the body.')

The word "observe" can have an active or passive meaning. I reckon that's why the WT likes using it for this occasion. Ex 12:43-49 describes who could and could not participate in the Passover. Interestingly, the Didache limited partaking of the emblems to baptized individuals. (See here.)

On having a meal with it, 1Co 11:17-34 shows that this is not a necessary part of the occasion. In fact, Paul argues that if it becomes a problem, have your meal before coming together.

Bobcat

Stranger

#48 Post by Stranger » 1 year ago

Hi Bobcat,

I have a question from one of your readers. (me)

I noticed you put a question mark in the title of this thread. Is the question mark because there is uncertainty of the time of the season or is it there because you are wondering why they call it a season at all?

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season

Stranger

leaving_quietly

#49 Post by leaving_quietly » 1 year ago

Hi, is it the wording or is it really that Christians should be observing the Memorial?? Should Christians observe (passive) Christ or follow him (active)?
In addition to Bobcat's response...

As they continued eating, Jesus took a loaf, and after saying a blessing, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said: “Take, eat. This means my body.” And taking a cup, he offered thanks and gave it to them, saying: “Drink out of it, all of you, for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins. - Matt 26:26-28

Note: WT never uses this passage in a Memorial talk. It would undermine their entire ritual.

Bobcat

#50 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Hi Stranger,

I put the question mark there when I created the thread because I was wondering how others felt about the idea of a "Memorial season."

For myself, the idea is foreign to the NT. On top of that, Gal 4:8-12 speaks against Christians establishing "days and months and seasons and years." Paul seems to express the idea that those who think in terms of those things are missing the whole point of Christianity.

For the WT's part, they have their daily texts, year texts, memorial seasons, etc. It seems all so Pharisaical and a reversion to the OT Law code. But sometimes I can get focused on an idea where others might not see it that way. This is why I put the question mark. I was wanting to see if maybe others had a more balanced viewpoint.

Bobcat