Memorial Season ?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Memorial Season ?

#1 Post by Bobcat » 4 years ago

With the WT's "Memorial Season" upon us, that is, upon us who are JWs, and upon the world at large who will be the recipients of the WT's Memorial campaign, I wanted to provide some place for a discussion of the idea of having a "Memorial Season."

First, here are some "Memorial" links from previous threads on this site:
The Lord's Evening Meal - How Often? Here

A post from a "New Covenant" thread that has similar thoughts as the thread linked above: Here. Also, note the points about the insertion of "it" in the NWT within the context of 1 Cor 11:17-34.

A post from the first link that shows the consistent linking of "eating" and "drinking" the emblems as part of "observing" the Lord's Evening Meal: Here

Meleti has a good write up discussing the calendar problems associated with the WT's yearly Memorial: Here

An excellent post (here) on what "discerning the body" refers to. (1Co 11:27, 29)

The Great Crowd, the Abrahamic Covenant, and the New Covenant: Here.

With those links (and there are many good posts on those links) out of the way, I wanted to post some reference work and see other's views also on the idea of Christians holding to a "Memorial Season." What especially concerns me on this subject is Gal 4:8-12. But there may be other mitigating aspects that I haven't considered. So I was hoping to get the views of others also.

Bobcat

Edited to add: A few more links on the topic of the memorial:
My last memorial talk, which was also my first time partaking: Here.

On the passing of the emblems and Judas: Here.

An article I found on what was in the wine at the Last Supper: Here. The reason I added this here is because the WT insists that the wine for the Memorial has to be without any additives or fortified in any way. Where they get that from is a mystery to me. But the linked article is quite interesting in that regard.

Bobcat

Re: Memorial Season ?

#2 Post by Bobcat » 4 years ago

Not to drift from the main topic of this thread but here and here are threads on the subject of Memorial tract campaigns.

Bobcat

Nicodemus

#3 Post by Nicodemus » 4 years ago

Some interesting points made here:

https://youtu.be/vX21m9qd8Eo

I find it really shocking that there is no mention of the resurrection...
Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father! - Philippians 2:11

leaving_quietly

#4 Post by leaving_quietly » 4 years ago

Thanks, Bobcat. Great re-reads of past threads. Do you keep some sort of index? Or do you just have a mastery over the search function? ;)

Bobcat

#5 Post by Bobcat » 4 years ago

Hey LQ!
Do you keep some sort of index? Or do you just have a mastery over the search function?
I don't have an index (although, I wish I did - one keyed to both the Bible and topical). When I want to link to a past thread or post I will usually click on "Your posts" and then do a search of a key word that I think was used in the post that I was looking for. Sometimes I can find what I'm looking for by going to Google. I think there is a Google 'site search' where you can look for returns just from a particular site. But I don't remember how to get to it or do it. Maybe something like, "Discussthetruth Bobcat Memorial." The search function here seems to work pretty good, especially when you choose a fairly unique word to the post you are looking for.

To tell you the truth, memory is starting to become a problem for me. I've been finding it increasingly difficult to remember names and pull up words from memory. It doesn't keep me from functioning everyday, but it can be embarrassing to see someone you know and maybe haven't seen for a while and then struggle to remember their name (and sometimes the other person seems to revel in making you feel embarrassed :) ). Or to start to respond to something someone else has said and not be able to think of the particular word you want to use. It does hamper spontaneity of conversation, and the word I'm trying to remember will usually come to mind later, after the conversation has moved on. Thankfully, forums like this offer the opportunity and time to think about a reply.

Just as a helpful thought on posting, not for you - as your posts are usually right to the point - but some posts are especially long, including numerous Scripture quotes and not so much space used to separate paragraphs. They are a bit tiresome just to look at, and end up not being read, or maybe only glanced at. Letting the reftagger app provide the Scripture quotes (unless a particular translation is needed), and using a bit of white space to separate thoughts can make a post, even a fairly long one, more palatable to tired eyes (and a tired mind).

By the way, thank you for your thoughts. And Nicodemus, for your link.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#6 Post by Bobcat » 3 years ago

Bumping this thread since the WT's "Memorial season" is in full swing.

There are numerous links here that lead to various aspects of the Lord's Evening Meal. Also, check out the "Similar Topics" section at the bottom of the page.

Here is a fairly larger listing of thread topics that deal with the Memorial or related topics.

Bobcat

DeborahsTree

#7 Post by DeborahsTree » 3 years ago

My love to all those who partake at the Memorial! :flowers:

Trust in God!

Bobcat

#8 Post by Bobcat » 2 years ago

Bumping this thread due to WT's "memorial season" being upon us, and the thread has a number of memorial related links that may be of interest to those passing by.

Bobcat

John S

#9 Post by John S » 2 years ago

What night is the Memorial this year?

The one WT commemorates?

Thank you.

John S

#10 Post by John S » 2 years ago

memorial is Friday April 19? ...same as Jewish Passover I see.

Correct?

I will observe it at home not at the Kingdom Hall.

I went last year to a Kingdom Hall, itwasvery stiff, formal, and no one but I partook.

Heheheh, crazy. The stares and the eyes bugging out looking the other way in shock.

Oh yes, and these are supposed to be God’s Nation? Yet taught none of them are the living stones that make up the holy priesthood?

By their own admission, they do not belong to Christ.