Matthew 24:34 "this generation" (Point 1)

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Matthew 24:34 "this generation" (Point 1)

#321 Post by Bobcat » 2 weeks ago

On the wording of the Greek of the first phrase of Mt 24:30 (and how it affects the understanding of the verse) see this post (specifically, about half way down in the post)

Bobcat

Bobcat

#322 Post by Bobcat » 2 weeks ago

Nothing in the text implies this has anything to do with the end of 'the Jewish system
My reply to that would be that Mt 23:34-39; 24:1-2, 3, 16, 20 all clearly indicate that this has everything to do with the "Jewish system."

Bobcat

Harpo

#323 Post by Harpo » 2 weeks ago

Sorry but not one of the verses you've quoted imply that Mathew 24's 'this generation' has anything to do with the END of 'the Jewish system'. Most of Mathew 24's context is about the end of - consummation of the age. What Jewish system are you talking about? Judaism still exist.

If we just take these passages at face value and apply just a little logic, they are simple to understand. My opinion is that people are more interested in supporting what they already believe than in changing their mind. People gear up their interpretation towards what they already believe. This is especially true of Calvinism, Trinitarianism, and Pretribulation-ism.

It really isn't difficult at all to figure out which generation Jesus is referring to in Mathew 24:34. I thinks it's pure fabrication to claim 'this generation' is an ethnic term that refers to the Jewish people. (whether believers or not) The problem that preterist and historicist have claiming that 'this generation' is the generation of 70 A.D., is "the absence of and lack of fulfillment of the many signs that Jesus mentions between verses 4 and 31". It's actually amusing to see how Preterist explain these passages. I've had one Preterist tell me that the earthquakes of verse 7...

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places."

...are "the ground shaking events that surround 70 A.D"!

Preterist are hard-pressed to explain the fulfillment of many of the signs like the abomination of desolation, the celestial signs of the sun and moon being darkened and the stars falling from the sky, etc. Those signs have not taken place so either Jesus was wrong or people simply misunderstand what 'this generation' refers to.

Stranger

#324 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

Harpo wrote:
2 weeks ago
It really isn't difficult at all to figure out which generation Jesus is referring to in Mathew* 24:34.

Hi Harpo,

Welcome to this blessed forum!

Let's just say that there has been and are fifty and a half generations since the time of Jesus being on Earth. The half would be the current generation the fiftieth would be the generation just before that and so on and so on. Making a generation 40 years, would you please just give me the number of generation you got figured as being the one Jesus was talking about. I don't need no explanation, just the number.

Stranger, (Eph 2:8)

Harpo

#325 Post by Harpo » 2 weeks ago

Stranger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Harpo wrote:
2 weeks ago
It really isn't difficult at all to figure out which generation Jesus is referring to in Mathew* 24:34.

Hi Harpo,

Welcome to this blessed forum!

Let's just say that there has been and are fifty and a half generations since the time of Jesus being on Earth. The half would be the current generation the fiftieth would be the generation just before that and so on and so on. Making a generation 40 years, would you please just give me the number of generation you got figured as being the one Jesus was talking about. I don't need no explanation, just the number.

Stranger, (Eph 2:8)
I'm not saying that a generation, or more specifically the one Jesus is referring to - is any specific length of time so I can't give you a number so you're getting an explanation anyway.

Strong's has several meanings of the word generation. I've always understood the generation Jesus is referring to in Mathew 24 as, "the whole multitude of men living at the same time".

Click on the link and then click on Vine's Expository Dictionary.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon ... jv/tr/0-1/

Mathew uses the word about 12 times and only once does he infer 'the Jewish race' in Mathew 11. But in that case the context is clear.

Stranger

#326 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

Harpo wrote:
2 weeks ago
Strong's has several meanings of the word generation. I've always understood the generation Jesus is referring to in Mathew 24 as, "the whole multitude of men living at the same time".

Strong's has a lot of things, Strong's doesn't have me as a believer, the Lord Jesus Christ does. You stated how easy, or not that difficult it is to figure the generation in question. You in a round about way put Strong right into to the figuring, are you using his concordance for your final answer?

I thought forty was a good number to at least get us all in the same time frame, and the 1in 50 and 1/2 generations which would actually be 51 choices to choose from, would also make the choice more convenient to recognize. You sure you don't want to have a stab at it?

Keep in mind that if you mix any forty you would have an overlap.

Stranger, ( Mr 5:12 KJV)

Harpo

#327 Post by Harpo » 2 weeks ago

Vines and Strong's are books I've had since the early 70's. Just like non-trinitarian Joseph Thayer and Wilhelm Gesenius, they spent a lifetime doing their work on these lexicons. I believe Jesus' fig tree illustration. Jesus clearly explains that - you know summer is coming when people SEE the fig tree start to put forth leaves - Jesus said LIKEWISE - the people that witness/SEE the events he mentions between verse 4 and 31 PASS - IS the generation of his return. No fabrication needed.

Stranger

#328 Post by Stranger » 2 weeks ago

Harpo wrote:
2 weeks ago
Vines and Strong's are books I've had since the early 70's. Just like non-trinitarian Joseph Thayer and Wilhelm Gesenius, they spent a lifetime doing their work on these lexicons. I believe Jesus' fig tree illustration. Jesus clearly explains that - you know summer is coming when people SEE the fig tree start to put forth leaves - Jesus said LIKEWISE - the people that witness/SEE the events he mentions between verse 4 and 31 PASS - IS the generation of his return. No fabrication needed.
That tells me you have many years of study and research behind you, even before the internet. Do you believe or know that you are among the generation spoken of?

So many in the past have thought themselves of being in "this generation", the conditions have been present for a long time now, or so it would seem.

Do you think it's a future generation yet to bloom?

Stranger, ( Mr 8:16 )

Harpo

#329 Post by Harpo » 2 weeks ago

Stranger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Harpo wrote:
2 weeks ago
That tells me you have many years of study and research behind you, even before the internet. Do you believe or know that you are among the generation spoken of?

So many in the past have thought themselves of being in "this generation", the conditions have been present for a long time now, or so it would seem.

Do you think it's a future generation yet to bloom?

Stranger, ( Mr 8:16 )
I often change my mind on things. Nobody has this all figured out.

Going by a 7,000 year time-frame, my speculation is the Lord's return happens in about 15-20 years. Maybe a little sooner - maybe a little later by only a few years. It depends which calendar we go by.

One could say that the conditions have been present forever but there are a few things about Mathew 24 that stand out. I think were are headed into the beginning of sorrows...

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows".

Nation against nation could be understood as "one race of people against another race of people"! It's a given that other manufactured pandemic's are coming, and speculated by many that food shortages are coming because of it. (intentional shortages)

Another plandemic is coming AND Islamic terrorism will again RAISE ITS HEAD big-time. It's all part of the great reset. 911 was the big one - this plandemic is another. It's all about controlling the population. So my guess is that major earthquakes are also coming soon. We'll see.

The riots are still going on in MN and maybe Seattle and the EU is a complete mess. Even without defunding the police all the political garbage of the last few years have resulted in unprecedented lawlessness. Immigration in the EU has not worked out well. The violent crime rate is astronomical mostly due to Islam.

"And because iniquity/lawlessness shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold".

Think about what Jesus said.

"See ye not ALL these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down".

After 70 A.D., stones remained 'one upon another' for about 400 years after Jerusalem's destruction.

Jesus said 'see ye not ALL these things' as he was LEAVING the temple. The stones in the Wailing Wall are the only stones still standing that Jesus and his disciples saw. It could be that they will someday be thrown down signaling that birth pangs are here. The wall falls after Muslims invade and take East Jerusalem and make the Dome of the Rock the headquarters of their world Caliphate.

I'm surprised that in all the pages I've read on the forum so far that the New World Order, the great reset, Agenda 2021 and 2020, the United Nations, the Illuminati, Masons, etc., AKA secret societies, (Mormons call them 'secret combinations) have not been mentioned.