Matthew 24:34 "this generation" (Point 1)

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Re: Matthew 24:34 "this generation" (Point 1)

#291 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

An excellent video presentation of the Jewish-Roman War of 66-73 that has its main focus on the siege of Jerusalem. As a side point, but just a minor detail, some of the dating of events appears to be a few weeks off from what I have learned elsewhere. But the video does a great job of portraying the flow of events.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#292 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

I added parts 7 thru 9 to this post, the Matthew 24 series from Eric Wilson's site (Beroean Pickets).

Bobcat

Bobcat

#293 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Research material on Matthew 24:14 and "inhabited earth" and its fulfillment in the 1st century: Here and here. Linking them to this thread for ease of reference.

An analysis of the phrase, "conclusion of the system of things" (NWT phrasing) here.

And this post is added to the 1st index for this thread (as point # 2) here.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#294 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

A thread on Matthew 24:39 and the phrase, "they took no note": Here.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#295 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

A post that has a commentary reference to Mt 23:39: Here.

A link to a list of false messianic and prophetic claims in the 1st century (in fulfillment of Mt 24:11): Here

Bobcat

Bobcat

#296 Post by Bobcat » 1 year ago

Here is an image of a chart on the history of WT's "generation" teaching from Mt 24:34. The image was too big to place it in the post.

You might have to scale the size up in your browser in order to be able to read it.

Bobcat

Stranger

#297 Post by Stranger » 11 months ago

Bobcat wrote:
1 year ago
Here is an image of a chart on the history of WT's "generation" teaching from Mt 24:34. The image was too big to place it in the post.

Hi Bobcat,

That's not an official WT chart is it? I see in the title they misspelled Jehovah's Witnesses and that's not like the WTBTS, :redflag:, so I didn't read any further till I know that it's an official document or at the very least an official copy with a stamp on it.

Stranger

Bobcat

#298 Post by Bobcat » 11 months ago

Hi Stranger,
That's not an official WT chart is it?

You are correct. The WT did not make the chart itself. Someone else made the chart using quotes from WT publications so as to give a timeline showing how WT's interpretation of Mt 24:34 has evolved from 1897 to 2010. The chart does give the source of the quotes from the various publications. And the chart itself was well done for the purpose it was made for. You get a concise, one page synopsis of 113+ years of evolving, or rather, back and forth WT explanation. An explanation that WT fully expected its members to accept as true, each step of the way.

The irony of it all, to me, is that Mt 24:34 is part of Jesus' answer to the question, "when will these things be" (that is, the destruction of the Jewish Temple, which eventually was destroyed within that "generation," just like Jesus' said it would be). (Mt 24:1, 2, 3; See also this post. Mt 24:15 and Mt 24:34 provide the complete answer to "when.") (Regarding verses in the Olivet Discourse that some might argue did not have a 1st century fulfillment, see posts # 12, 13, 15, 16 starting here.)

So that you have the WT flailing about over the past century plus, trying to come up with a modern interpretation that answers to "when" for an event (Jesus' return) that can't be known. (Mt 24:36, 42, 44) And you have the maker of the chart, who ever he/she is, smug in the knowledge that Christ is not going to return because he has proved the foolishness of the WT. (Lu 2:35 NET; See also footnote # 104 at Lu 2:35 here.)

Bobcat

Stranger

#299 Post by Stranger » 9 months ago

Just going off the cuff here:

I know that most people understand the "this generation" to be directed to a certain group of people who were born in a certain time frame. And yes some even believe that "this generation" is being overlapped.

Churches have generations also and not just with the people that go to them, but the Church itself. For example the WT has had several generations of Doctrine that they abided by for a certain length of time and then have changed it, certain things passed away and accommodations were installed to introduce new Doctrine and so forth.

So the thought ran through my mind that Jesus was perhaps talking about the first generation of His Church and His teachings of that generation of the Church.
In other words when Jesus says "this generation" will not pass until..... he may not necessarily be talking about any certain group of people. (Matt 24:35)

Stranger,(Matt 24:43)

Bobcat

#300 Post by Bobcat » 9 months ago

Hi Stranger,

"This generation" (of Mt 24:34) is controversial for many. This post has links to other posts that collectively contain what my research has led me to believe about it.

Hope it might help some. The links in the post I linked to cover a range of aspects regarding to term, from how it is used in the whole book of Matthew, to its specific use in Mt 23:36 & Mt 24:34, as well as its lack of use in Revelation.

Bobcat