Are The Ten Commandments For Christians?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
DeborahsTree

Re: Are The Ten Commandments For Christians?

#21 Post by DeborahsTree » 5 years ago

Prior to beginning his ministry Christ rested from his carpentry on the 7th day, the Sabbath. But when he, at his baptism, began his ministry he then lived every day to do his Father's work not his own. When God's spirit fell upon the disciples at Pentecost they too left their own works and like their Master lived every day to do their Father's work.

Jesus did his Father's work every day of the week, he rested from his own works every day of the week. His disciples seek to do their Father's work every day of the week having rested from seeking their own will, their own works.

Thus a Christian man who daily seeks to do God's will, and not his own, is keeping Sabbath.

Deborah

jo-el

#22 Post by jo-el » 5 years ago

LonelySheep wrote:
52 years ago
Thanks for your thoughts, Joel. Just so you know, those quotes that show up as mine were Amos responding to my quotes.
Apologies to you both then - I actually thought I was responding to Amos originally and then I changed it to yourself thinking I was mistaken and then thought "phew ... glad I spotted that one!" and of course it backfired on me didn't it :)

oneapart

#23 Post by oneapart » 5 years ago

Thanks Jo'el for your posts. I appreciate your clear reasoned answer regarding how the 10 Commandments were given to Israel not Christians.

Deborah, if someone followed the sabbath in the manner you're speaking of, wouldn't they be cut off? (Exodus 31:14) I mean to say, it satisfies your reasoning, but not the Jews. You can't become a Jew and then not keep Sabbath according to their own conventions. They won't recognize you as a Jew. And if it isn't the Sabbath, the prescription as written, then it's not the Sabbath. The question is really whose standards are you trying to meet, and does your reasoning meet their requirements? We can create all the reasoning we want, but what good is it if it's not God's?

Deborah, I believe your points prove that Christ taught us 'the way' to live, and that was the new covenant (as God's son), distinct from the old covenant (as a carpenter).
With Love,
Angela Glass

DeborahsTree

#24 Post by DeborahsTree » 5 years ago

oneapart wrote:
52 years ago
Thanks Jo'el for your posts. I appreciate your clear reasoned answer regarding how the 10 Commandments were given to Israel not Christians.

Deborah, if someone followed the sabbath in the manner you're speaking of, wouldn't they be cut off? (Exodus 31:14) I mean to say, it satisfies your reasoning, but not the Jews. You can't become a Jew and then not keep Sabbath according to their own conventions. They won't recognize you as a Jew. And if it isn't the Sabbath, the prescription as written, then it's not the Sabbath. The question is really whose standards are you trying to meet, and does your reasoning meet their requirements? We can create all the reasoning we want, but what good is it if it's not God's?

Deborah, I believe your points prove that Christ taught us 'the way' to live, and that was the new covenant (as God's son), distinct from the old covenant (as a carpenter).
Hi Oneapart,

I am a Christian. A Christian who believes Christians are free to live as Christ himself did (following the Law as he did) if they so choose, or not, they are free to follow their conscience or as the spirit of God directs.

As for being recognized as a Jew or approved as a Christian in the eyes of others that is not my concern. My ONLY concern is God's Approval not men's (or women).

Is that not the Christian bottom line? Jesus did not live his life concerned with what others think, he did not seek the approval of men, neither should his disciples.

Deborah

AmosAU

#25 Post by AmosAU » 5 years ago

Hi Deborah,

Your last post is how I also believe we should be, free to worship & live according to the way Jesus did, & also the 1st century Apostles & disciples.
I believe it's that simple.

Regards, Amos.

DeborahsTree

#26 Post by DeborahsTree » 5 years ago

Hi Amos,

I agree. Christians should have freedom of conscience.

Deborah

oneapart

#27 Post by oneapart » 5 years ago

DeborahsTree wrote:
52 years ago
oneapart wrote:
52 years ago

Hi Oneapart,

I am a Christian. A Christian who believes Christians are free to live as Christ himself did (following the Law as he did) if they so choose, or not, they are free to follow their conscience or as the spirit of God directs.

As for being recognized as a Jew or approved as a Christian in the eyes of others that is not my concern. My ONLY concern is God's Approval not men's (or women).

Is that not the Christian bottom line? Jesus did not live his life concerned with what others think, he did not seek the approval of men, neither should his disciples.

Deborah
Oh dear. My question was "if someone followed the sabbath in the manner you're speaking of, wouldn't they be cut off? (Exodus 31:14)"

I know you're a Christian. A Jew knows Abraham wasn't a Jew.

God determines what we are and aren't. I wasn't questioning your status, but pointing out the obvious contradiction that you don't address.

Jesus was a Jew, to live as Jesus did this would mean your intent is to live as a Jew.

If you live as a Jew, you are no longer Christian. My point was if you live as a Jew, in your attempt to live as a Jew you're a bad fake Jew... see my question about being cut off. That was the point. Your standards are your own, I'm seeking for you to show me how you align your standards either to that of Jesus, The Jews, or God.

I have no reason to be persuaded if you cannot persuade.

I don't agree with your Christian bottom line. We're to adjust our actions so as not to stumble others. I'm suggesting someone listening to your teaching will stumble away from truth.
With Love,
Angela Glass

AmosAU

#28 Post by AmosAU » 4 days ago

Greetings everyone.

I'm bumping this thread up again due to many new ones here who may not have read it yet.

My reason is also due to the reluctance of some in seeing how vitally important ALL of scripture is for modern believers.

Please take the time to digest each of the commandments on their own merit.

Regards, Amos.

jo-el

#29 Post by jo-el » 4 days ago

Just got bounced and re-read the thread.
Still agree with myself.
Phew! :lol: