Are The Ten Commandments For Christians?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
AmosAU

Are The Ten Commandments For Christians?

#1 Post by AmosAU » 6 years ago

This topic has always been like a hot potato, tossed around between various groups of believers. It is very interesting to note (without any bias) that the 1st century believers most certainly did refer to the Ten Commandments & we have them written in our bibles for all to read. Sadly, once the church started growing to such a stage that the Gentile believers outnumbered the Jewish believers (during the 2nd century), there seemed to be an innate desire for the Gentile church to distance themselves as far as possible from almost anything that could have association with the very origin of the one true faith established by our Master, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. This did intensify during the early years of the 3rd century & possibly reached its climax in during the 4th century.

Please carefully read & prayerfully meditate on the words of our Heavenly Father contextually. Please check the verses quoted here in the bible of your choice. As we go through the 1st Century NT allusions to & quotes from the Ten Commandments, you may notice the number of times the same Old Testament reference is used. This is because it appears to be such a high priority for all believers to understand its relevance. It must remember that the new Gentile converts to Christianity would be largely unaware of & thus ignorant of most of the commandments as given through Moses. For the gentiles to understand the high & holy standards of conduct that had been set down in scripture by our Creator, they needed instructing & then reminding about this often.(as should we) It should also be noted that both Jew & Gentile believers generally went to the local Synagogue each Sabbath.

I’m certain each ones faith may both be challenged & then built up (as has mine) by seeing exactly how the 1st Century believers accepted these Commandments as still being a current part of their worship & in the activities of their daily life. They did not see it as having been annulled or burdensome, as is often claimed by the majority of western churches today. This by the way is not suggesting that the “Law of Grace” does not apply, but rather quite to the contrary that it is because we have been shown this “Law of Grace” that we are desirous of obedience to the written Word of our merciful Heavenly Father, in all things. We should want to do it His way, not our way. It is also NOT suggesting that we have a works based Salvation otherwise it would make this “free gift of Grace” by means of the Cross, null & void. I believe it comes down to our conviction & heart condition. If we become convicted by the Holy Spirit to observe the Ten Commandments along with all other relevant commands of Father YHWH in either testament, we will be blessed beyond expectation. It then becomes a jot to observe these commands from a position of LOVE for our Father & what He has done for us. I see this as a willing obedience, NOT that of ritualistic, dutiful & laborious action.

It must also be mentioned that during the pre-Christian times, not all Israel were commanded to keep the “whole Torah (Law)”. Most of Torah was to be kept by the whole nation, but there were also specific Laws that were only kept by priests, men, women, children & the stranger in their midst. These were YHWH’s specific instructions & not those of man.

We have many examples of the Scribes, Pharisee’s, Sadducee’s & Rabbis who were technically keeping Torah, yet were finding numerous ways around any part that restricted what they personally desired to do or achieve. Yet all the time, they placed heavy burdens on the rest of the people. “Do as I say & not as I do.”
I will be using the KJV unless otherwise stated as I believe it can generally be referred to as still one of the most accurate versions available today.

First Commandment

Exo. 20:1; “And God spake all these words, saying, 2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”

* Mark 12:28-34; “And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. 32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: 33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. 34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.”

In this passage, it will be seen that ALL Ten Commandments are summed up with just two as shown in v’s 29-31. It MUST also be understood that Jesus did not say these were the only two to obey but rather He added in v 31; “There is none other commandment greater than these.”

I believe Jesus answered in this way to show that the entire Ten Commandments (& many other Laws) were resting on these two. If these two were kept, then ALL other commands would automatically be covered, regardless of what they were. If we loved God, then the first four would be kept. If we loved our neighbour then the last six would likewise be kept. It cannot be emphasized enough how the attribute of love is a pre-requisite to our walk as children of YHWH. (God is LOVE) Our entire walk, regardless of what we are doing & who we are dealing with, MUST be based on this quality of love. This is not easy for most of us, & I believe this is why it has such a high priority in scripture.

* 1 Cor.8:6; “But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.”

* 1 Cor. 10:6, 7; “Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.”
Notice how idolatry can include some of our “normal” daily activities if these are done for the wrong motive.

* James 2:19; “Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.” Compare Deut. 6:4; “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:”

* Eph. 4:5, 6; “One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”

* Rev.19: 5-10; “And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great. 6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. 7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. 10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

* Rev. 22:8, 9: “And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. 9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.”
Compare Exodus 34:14; “For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:”

Second Commandment

Exo. 20:4; “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.”

* Matt.4:10; “Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” Compare Deut. 6:13, 14; “Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name. 14 Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;”

* Rom. 1:23-25; “And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.”

* 1 Cor. 10:14, 19-23; “Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? 20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. 21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. 22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he? 23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." Compare Leviticus 17:7; “And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto devils, after whom they have gone a whoring. This shall be a statute for ever unto them throughout their generations.”

* 2 Thess. 2:3, 4; “Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.”

* Gal. 5:19-21; “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

* 1 John 5:21; “Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.”

* Rev. 9:20; “And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:”

* Rev. 21:8; “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Continued in next post.

AmosAU

Re: Are The Ten Commandments For Christians?

#2 Post by AmosAU » 6 years ago

Continuing.

Third Commandment

Exo. 20:7 “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”

* Matt. 6:9; “After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.”

* John 12:27, 28; “Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.”

* John 17:11; “And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.”

* Heb. 1:4; “Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.” Compare Eph. 1:21; “Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:”

* Phil. 2:9-11: “Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

* 1 John 2:12; “I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.”

Fourth Commandment

Exo. 20:8 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.”

* Matt. 24:20; “But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:”

* Acts 13:14; “But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.”

* Acts 16:13; “And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.”

* Acts 18:4; “And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.”

* Heb. 4:9-11; “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.”

* Col. 2:16; “Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath;” This verse has been consistently used to try to prove that there is no need to observe the Sabbath, but when we consider it in context & that this view would then go against many other verses that uphold the Sabbath, it seems to lose any power to support the abolition of the Sabbath. See also Gen. 2:2, 3; “And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.”

Fifth Commandment

Exo. 20:12 “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.”

* Matt. 15:3-6; “But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. 5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; 6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.”

* Matt. 19:17-19; “And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”

* Rom. 1:29-32; “And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha. 30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. 31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone;”

* Eph. 6:1-3; “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.”

* Col. 3:20; “Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.”

* 1 John 5:1; “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.”

AmosAU

#3 Post by AmosAU » 6 years ago

Continuing

Sixth Commandment

Exo. 20:13 “Thou shalt not kill.”

* Matt. 5:21, 22; “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: 22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.”

* Matt. 15:19; “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:”

* Matt. 19:17, 18; “And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,”

* Rom. 1:28, 29; “And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,”

* Rom. 13:9, 10; “For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”

* James 2:11; “For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.”

* James 4:2; “Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.”

* 1 Tim. 1:8, 9; “But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,”

* 1 John 3:15; “Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.”

* Rev. 21:8; “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Seventh Commandment

Exo. 20:14; “Thou shalt not commit adultery.”

* Matt. 5:27, 28, 31, 32; “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart…. 31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.”
Matt. 19:9, 18; “And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,”

* Rom. 2:22; “Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?”

* Rom. 13:9; “For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”

* James 2: 11; “For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.”

* 2 Peter 2:14; “Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:”

* 1 Tim. 1:8-10; “But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;”

* Rev. 2:22; “Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.”

AmosAU

#4 Post by AmosAU » 6 years ago

Continuing

Eighth Commandment

Exo. 20:15 “Thou shalt not steal.”

* Matt. 15:19; “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:”

* Matt. 19:17, 18; “And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,”

* Rom. 2:21; “Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?”

* Rom. 13:9; “For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”

* 1 Cor. 6:9, 10; “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.”

* Eph. 4:8; “Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.”

* Titus 2:10; “Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.”

* Rev. 9:20, 21; “And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: 21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.”

Ninth Commandment

Exo. “20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.”

* Rom. 3:10-13; “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:”

* Col. 3:9; “Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;”

Tenth Commandment

Exo. 20:17 “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.”

* Luke 12:15; “And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.”

* Rom. 7:7; “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.”

* Col. 3:5; “Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:”

* Gal. 5:19-21; “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

* James 4:2; “Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.”

* 1 John 2:16; “For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.”

In Conclusion

To conclude this interesting & important topic, I’d like close with the following words of Paul from Romans. I believe that each one who seriously & with an open mind meditates on all these scriptures from the written word of God will have their faith & understanding built up.

Rom. 3:28; “Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. 29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.”

Thanks for taking the time to read this article.

Regards,
Amos.

cutie_pie

#5 Post by cutie_pie » 6 years ago

When l did my Torah reading this morning l recognised that love and justice are the foundations of Elohim's character.
These are essential of true followers "but not easy to keep in balance. Numbers 14:9
Knowing Fathers commandments go further than what we think as Amos stated. "Some people are loving to the point that they excuse wrong doing.
On the other hand others are just to the point they forget love with out justice leads people in sin. Why? Because they are not trying to achieve higher standards.
"Justice with out love drives people from Yahsuah because they have no heart. "So to keep Fathers commandments we must realise that some are for different peoples as was stated above. "Woman men children family Priests act, although mainly for each situation.

Fathers commandments when looking through his eyes are a blessing if we acknowledge Father knows best. "Its hard to find our footing but with prayer and perseverance minding Fathers business not our own things can work. Isaiah 56:1-2

Our success is normally thought of as being "good children so to speak" so Yahuwah rewards us with what ever makes our lives comfortable.
"We could think Yahuwah blessed us because of our increasing financial situations, although that does not hold true.
Its not what comes from our mouths it is what comes from deep with in our hearts. "Yet scripture says out of the mouth the heart speaks doesn't it? 'We cannot boast about being privileged, we must boast in Father only. 'All this is in Torah and keeping Elohims commandments which we all must try hard to understand.

All the Laws of Yahuwah are written for all our protection. Fathers measure of success is different from ours, he calls us to faithfulness not to influence, or to indifference in Torah.
Blessed is the name of Yahuwah for his love and kindness "whether we make it or not will stand for ever. Psalms 41:1-4

AmosAU

#6 Post by AmosAU » 5 years ago

The following is a quote from the book, “The Great Controversy” pages 262-264. The readers may be surprised to see what the views of one of our early Reformers had concerning the Law. I read this in the early hours of this morning.

In answer to the claim that at the death of Christ the precepts of the Decalogue had been abolished with the ceremonial law, Wesley said: "The moral law, contained in the Ten Commandments and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away. It was not the design of His coming to revoke any part of this. This is a law which never can be broken, which 'stands fast as the faithful witness in heaven.' . . . This was from the beginning of the world, being 'written not on tables of stone,' but on the hearts of all the children of men, when they came out of the hands of the Creator. And however the letters once wrote by the finger of God are now in a great measure defaced by sin, yet can they not wholly be blotted out, while we have any consciousness of good and evil. Every part of this law must remain in force upon all mankind, and in all ages; as not depending either on time or place, or any other circumstances liable to change, but on the nature of God, and the nature of man, and their unchangeable relation to each other.
"'I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.' . . . Without question, His meaning in this place is (consistently with all that goes before and follows after),--I am come to establish it in its fullness, in spite of all the glosses of men: I am come to place in a full and clear view whatsoever was dark or obscure therein: I am come to declare the true and full import of every part of it; to show the length and breadth, the entire extent, of every commandment contained therein, and the height and depth, the inconceivable purity and spirituality of it in all its branches."--Wesley, sermon 25
Wesley declared the perfect harmony of the law and the gospel. "There is, therefore, the closest connection that can be conceived, between the law and the gospel. On the one hand, the law continually makes way for, and points us to, the gospel; on the other, the gospel continually leads us to a more exact fulfilling of the law. The law, for instance, requires us to love God, to love our neighbor, to be meek, humble, or holy. We feel that we are not sufficient for these things; yea, that 'with man this is impossible;' but we see a promise of God to give us that love, and to make us humble, meek, and holy: we lay hold of this gospel, of these glad tidings; it is done unto us according to our faith; and 'the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us,' through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
"In the highest rank of the enemies of the gospel of Christ," said Wesley, "are they who openly and explicitly 'judge the law' itself, and 'speak evil of the law;' who teach men to break (to dissolve, to loose, to untie the obligation of) not one only, whether of the least or of the greatest, but all the commandments at a stroke. . . . The most surprising of all the circumstances that attend this strong delusion, is that they who are given up to it, really believe that they honor Christ by overthrowing His law, and that they are magnifying His office while they are destroying His doctrine! Yea, they honor Him just as Judas did when he said, 'Hail, Master, and kissed Him.' And He may as justly say to every one of them, 'Betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?' It is no other than betraying Him with a kiss, to talk of His blood, and take away His crown; to set light by any part of His law, under pretense of advancing His gospel. Nor indeed can anyone escape this charge, who preaches faith in any such a manner as either directly or indirectly tends to set aside any branch of obedience: who preaches Christ so as to disannul, or weaken in any wise, the least of the commandments of God."--Ibid.
To those who urged that "the preaching of the gospel answers all the ends of the law," Wesley replied: "This we utterly deny. It does not answer the very first end of the law, namely, the convincing men of sin, the awakening those who are still asleep on the brink of hell." The apostle Paul declares that "by the law is the knowledge of sin;" "and not until man is convicted of sin, will he truly feel his need of the atoning blood of Christ. . . .'They that be whole,' as our Lord Himself observes, 'need not a physician, but they that are sick.' It is absurd, therefore, to offer a physician to them that are whole, or that at least imagine themselves so to be. You are first to convince them that they are sick; otherwise they will not thank you for your labor. It is equally absurd to offer Christ to them whose heart is whole, having never yet been broken."--Wesley, sermon 35.

Regards, Amos.

GodsWordIsTruth

#7 Post by GodsWordIsTruth » 5 years ago

Amos,
Thank you brother for posting all this info.It is truly a labor of love. I can now see the importance of looking at ancient interpretation Jewish context is critical for understanding the NT. I don't see how I missed it before ! I am falling in love with the "Jewish" Jesus who must certainly was versed in the torah and taught and expounded from it.

Heres a question I have starting out as I re-read the Bible again: You like me (If I remember correctly) believe in that the Father has revealed himself to us in the person of Jesus and through the testimony of the HS. I read somewhere the the torah has "seventy faces". It doesn't seem that singular interpretation of scripture is possible when we have the Spirit who will most certainly tailor the message to each individual. With that being said how do you balance the divinity of Christ with
Your recent post regarding the slow introduction of greek philosophy and intpretation of scripture into mainstream Christianity? From my limited interactions with others around this subject leads to stripping the "God" from Christ.

I give thanks to the Father and the Spirit for leading me to what I feel is unavoidable for a serious student of the bible . You cannot deny or at least recognize the Jewish heritage of the first Christians and understand the bible. Ancient Jewish interpretation has a seat in any Christian conversation.
I had a thought....What did Paul "convert" to ? The way or to a non existent Christian religion? I can very much see Paul being a torah keeping Jew who accepted Jesus as the Messiah , while still pleading from scripture as the HS testified to him too preach the Gospel and freedom from enslavement[/b ]from the law. No contradiction there. I think the idea that he threw away his jewish culture in exchange for (?) ?....is something else...but it is not scripture.

AmosAU

#8 Post by AmosAU » 5 years ago

Hi sister Shannon,

Thanks for your response & questions. Firstly, you may remember that I posted an article in November last year regarding the name YHWH & how this applies to Jesus/Yeshua. I'll post the link to this here as it may hopefully answer some of the questions, thoughts that you have.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=741&hilit=old+testament+yhwh

I have found that when we come to understand some vital points of scripture, particularly those that have been hidden from us for centuries, other points, aspects, also begin to be understood. It's like opening the first door in a long hallway that has more doors for the entire length of the hall. Within each compartment in the hall are doors on each side of the hall, each of these doors lead to a new & wonderful truth. Each of these new truths are needed to grasp before we open the next new door, etc......

Most believers have lost the very fact that our Master, Yeshua, was a major part of the Jewish system & that it was this system that was the catalist in bringing the Saviour of mankind into the world. This is what I was led to in about 2009, it had never occurred to me before. We had been force fed that Christianity was a western religion & Judaism was the eastern belief that Christianity came from. This was just so false. When we read the first 2 chapters of Ephesians, it becomes extremely obvious that the entire course of salvation was ALL put into the act of creation, BEFORE creation began. This is almost overwhelming when we come to realize the depth of this very act, the great love that our Father has for His yet uncreated human children. This needs to be understood to open yet more doors in the hallway.
We are only just touching the tip of the iceberg of our understanding the wealth of teaching that has been locked away in scripture since the death of the apostles. Father has it all under control! He unlocks doors at the right time in history. I believe the unlocking possibly began with Wycliffe & then Luther. But it is now time to go much deeper into a better understanding of the OT Jewish teachings, as the time for the return of the Messiah is very close.

I'll give some more thoughts later as I can. It will take time for others to digest some things that I've said already.

Regards, Amos.

alexrover

#9 Post by alexrover » 5 years ago

Thank you for this epic post AmosAU. Very well structured.

AmosAU

#10 Post by AmosAU » 5 years ago

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your comment. There is just so much that we have missed through following mans teachings, it's not until we begin to connect scripture with scripture that we begin to see some of the true teachings of the Holy Spirit.
I have a number of other topics under construction that may take some time to complete as I only work on these when directed by the Holy Spirit.

Regards, Amos.