Watchtower Study: Research, Notes, & Comments

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Bobcat

Watchtower Study: Research, Notes, & Comments

#1 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

I was hoping that this thread might serve as a clearing house (of sorts) for "research, notes, & comments" about any given Watchtower Study. This way one need only consult one thread in order to see if, query for, or comment on, any particular WT Study article.

I also intend to link WT Study comments from the BP site to this thread as there are often some very good reviews/analysis of the WT Study there.

If one is posting a comment/research on a particular WT Study, it might be good to start the post with something like: August 3-9, 2015 Study (or, alternatively, w2015 6/15) along with the page and/or paragraph number.

Bobcat

Bobcat

Re: Watchtower Study: Research, Notes, & Comments

#2 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

w2015 6/15 (Study for August 3-9, 2015, "He Loved People")

Several points of research I noted in this article:

p. 10, par. 8 "Then the month of Nisan arrived."

The paragraph assumes/asserts that the events of John chapter 5 happened around the time of the Passover (31 CE).

Interestingly, the particular festival is not mentioned in John and scholars are divided over which it could be. In fact, in John 5:1 the best MSS have "festival" without the article (or anarthrous). The BECNT-John commentary (Andreas J. Kostenberger, pp. 177, 195) says:

The festival in question, the only one unnamed in this Gospel, may have been one of the several festivals taking place in Jerusalem in September/October, perhaps Tabernacles (which, if the year was A.D.31, fell on October 21-28; see Hengel 1999: 308, 321). If so, Jesus' ministry lasted about three and a half years. Tabernacles may be suggested by the fact that some MSS have "the" festival of the Jews, the conventional name for Tabernacles. (See 1 Kings 8:2, 65; 12:32; 2 Chron 5:3; 7:8; Neh 8:14, 18; Ps 81:3; Ezek 45:25. See also additional note.)

The "additional note" states:

5:1. The conclusion that the Feast of Tabernacles is the most likely referent stands, even though the anarthrous reading ["a festival"] almost certainly is original.108 The term ἑορτὴ has the article in all its twenty-five NT instances except here [in John 5:1], in Matt 27:15 = Mark 15:6 (there with κατά), and in Col 2:16.

Footnote 108 says:

So the majority of commentators, including Barrett 1978:250-51; Carson 1991: 240; Morris 1995: 265 n. 6; R. Brown (1996: 206), who says that the evidence is "overwhelming"; Beasley-Murray 1999: 69 n. e; Schnackenburg 1990: 2.93.

The commentary also mentions with regard to Bethzatha (p. 195):

5:2. Some MSS read "Bethzatha" (preferred by NA27; Bultmann 1971: 240 n. 7) or "Bethsaida" (cf. Jn 1:44; 12:21), but "Bethesda" is attested much more widely and clearly is the superior reading.

p. 12, par. 15 "Jesus' use of the expression "memorial tombs" is appropriate, for God's memory is involved."

"Memorial tombs" is the NWT (apparently unique) rendering of μνημείοις (mnēmeiois; Strong's 3419; Compare how others render it here). The word is drawn from the monuments and inscriptions that decorate some tombs and are used by people to remember a deceased person.

p. 12, par. 18 "Skip about like fattened calves."

This caught my attention because the old NWT had the phrase, "paw the ground like fattened calves." I was curious if I could discover some reasoning behind the change.

The Hebrew verb for "skip about" (Strong's 6335) has the meaning (according to AMG's Hebrew dictionary) "to leap, to spring about, to gallop. It describes the playful, skipping, happy behavior of a heifer (Jer 50:11; Mal 4:2)."

The phrase "like fattened calves" (Strong's 4770) could also be rendered with the idea of 'calves let out from the stall' (cmp here).

Bobcat

Bobcat

#3 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Here is a link to Buster's thread on the WT Study, "Live in Harmony With the Model Prayer, Part 1."

The comments are with regard to paragraphs 11 & 12.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#4 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Here is the thread on the August 2, 2015 WT Study (also from the w2015 6/15 magazine.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#5 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Here is the thread on the April 5, 2015 WT Study on the Song of Songs.

This was one I really enjoyed, not so much the material in the WT, but the research it led me to.

Bobcat

Bobcat

#6 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Here is a thread addressing the March 2015 Study Watchtower.

Here is a thread on the January Study Watchtower.

Bobcat

menrov

w2015 6/15 (Study for August 3-9, 2015, "He Loved People")

#7 Post by menrov » 5 years ago

Par 3: Jesus knew that this Kingdom would serve to sanctify his Father’s name.....support in the scriptures??
Par 3: woven throughout the fabric of Jesus’ preaching tours were evidences of his genuine concern for the human family.....not that He did not have love for the human family but HIs main concern was to do the will of His Father
Joh 15:10 If you obey my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.
Luk 22:42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me. Yet not my will but yours be done.”

Par 4: Jesus was well into his public ministry ... in the past, I would not have noticed but now I see how this is leading the reader into their agenda
Par 4: What was Jesus thinking as he beheld this man who was probably disfigured? Would Jesus be like the Pharisees, who had developed a heartless view of people suffering from this disease? What would you have done?.....why these questions???
Par 5: We do not know exactly what thoughts were going through Jesus’ mind, but we do know what was in his heart.....interesting...not knowing what He was thinking but yes, we know what was in HIs heart.
PAr 5: Indeed, Jehovah’s power was there—not only for Christ to perform such a miracle but also for Jesus to demonstrate how much he loved people....I disagree,,,His given powers were to prove He was the messiah, sent by the Father
Par 10: is trying to show how good life will be on earth under Jesus reign. A rather "materialistic" view, as the kingdom of God is (as far as I know) never compared to people being cured..
Mat 13:47 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was cast into the sea that caught all kinds of fish.
Mat 20:1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard.
Mat 25:1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.Mat 13:45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls
Par 11: Her sickness had an impact on every aspect of her life, including her worship....where does it say that ?????????
Par 11: Realizing that it was his Father, Jehovah, who had healed the woman, Jesus treated her kindly, saying: “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed from your grievous sickness.”...Again, going beyond what is written, and leading the reader into their agenda, If that is what Jesus had in mind (the woman being a daughter of HIs Father) he would have said SISTER.The use of the word DAUGHTER was also a Jewish custom, a act of politeness....by the way, verse 33 shows the woman fell down before him (act of worship).
Par 12: Satan wants to convince us that we are unloved and worthless...really?? Or is satan trying to give us pride etc......Some scriptural support would have been nice.....
Par 12: What a sympathetic King and High Priest!... I find this no dong justice at all to Jesus.....these are words you can use for a human king, not for the one who will judge and provide eternal life!
regarding vers John 1:35 about wheeping, the NET footnote has:
sn Jesus wept. The Greek word used here for Jesus’ weeping (ἐδάκρυσεν, edakrusen) is different from the one used to describe the weeping of Mary and the Jews in v. 33 which indicated loud wailing and cries of lament. This word simply means “to shed tears” and has more the idea of quiet grief. But why did Jesus do this? Not out of grief for Lazarus, since he was about to be raised to life again. L. Morris (John [NICNT], 558) thinks it was grief over the misconception of those round about. But it seems that in the context the weeping is triggered by the thought of Lazarus in the tomb: This was not personal grief over the loss of a friend (since Lazarus was about to be restored to life) but grief over the effects of sin, death, and the realm of Satan. It was a natural complement to the previous emotional expression of anger (11:33). It is also possible that Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus because he knew there was also a tomb for himself ahead.
Par 15 is already discussed before. If only the rNWT would be consistent and translate all 38 instances with memorial tomb....but they do not.....a creative way to lead the reader into their agenda
Par 16: If we maintain our Christian integrity, we may well witness one of the greatest miracles of all time—the miracle of surviving the great tribulation....so, surviving the great tribulation is a MIRACLE?????? new "light" for me.....
Par 16: although after armageddon, Jesus will still be King, it is Jehovah who will perform the "miracles"
Par 17,18: again, all focus on "physical" things like being healed, no more illnesses....Jesus did not compare the kingdom with an earth without sick people...as such, the WT actually does not encourage its members to have love for the kingdom and its king for what it really is but it promotes an appreciation for a society without illnesses etc.
I like this description from the NET regarding the Kingdom of God:
It is a realm in which Jesus rules and to which those who trust him belong. See Luke 6:20; 11:20; 17:20-21.

Bobcat

#8 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

Here is Meleti's review of the WT study for August 10-16, 2015 (from the BP site).

Bobcat

Buster

#9 Post by Buster » 5 years ago

Keep it up my good friend, top quality stuff, i love last week it affected her worship.....What!!!!!!!!!!

Bobcat

#10 Post by Bobcat » 5 years ago

"We Can remain Chaste" WT Study for August 10-16, 2015.

Paragraph 11 says:
According to one scholar, Potiphar's wife was, in effect, saying: " 'Let's just be on our own together for a little,' in the hope of making [Joseph] take the first step."
The quoted scholar appears to be Gordon J. Wenham writing in the Word Biblical Commentary. (Genesis 16-50, p. 375; See here.)

Bobcat