"Should Christians Observe the Sabbath?"

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Proselytiser of Jah

"Should Christians Observe the Sabbath?"

#1 Post by Proselytiser of Jah » 1 week ago

I thought I'd post a newly written article on my thoughts and biblical interpretation on the Sabbath. It covers several topics in subheadings:

Did Jesus Command us to Observe the Sabbath?
Did the Apostles Observe or Command Observance of the Sabbath?
Isn’t the Sabbath an Everlasting Covenant?
Didn’t Jesus say he didn’t come to Abolish the Law?"

https://proselytiserofjah.wordpress.com ... e-sabbath/
"The fruitage of the Spirit is; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23

jo-el

Re: "Should Christians Observe the Sabbath?"

#2 Post by jo-el » 1 week ago

Read through your article earlier today. It was easy to read and you've captured the bulk of the main scriptures used and land on the right side. I would agree with all those conclusions about Sabbatarian doctrine I think.

And I'm just mentioning because its linked and I happened to notice that you have other articles on there such as OSAS in which I would probably differ with you slightly, but it really depends a lot on definitions and those topics can be not as simple as they appear. However you are fair and pretty balanced in opening your article by at least trying to represent the view and entertaining the possibility so credit for that as well.

Bobcat

#3 Post by Bobcat » 1 week ago

Cross-linking with a related thread (somewhat) for reference purposes: A thread on Jesus' statement that, "Lord of the Sabbath the Son of Man is." (Mt 12:8, Mk 2:28 & Lk 6:5) The thread can be found here.

Bobcat

coccus ilicis

#4 Post by coccus ilicis » 1 week ago

Proselytiser of Jah wrote:
1 week ago
I thought I'd post a newly written article on my thoughts and biblical interpretation on the Sabbath. It covers several topics in subheadings:

Did Jesus Command us to Observe the Sabbath?
Did the Apostles Observe or Command Observance of the Sabbath?
Isn’t the Sabbath an Everlasting Covenant?
Didn’t Jesus say he didn’t come to Abolish the Law?"

https://proselytiserofjah.wordpress.com ... e-sabbath/
Hello Proselytiser,
Thank you for your post.
Another question you need to add is, 'When is the Sabbath?

The Original Biblical text was Hebrew, and the scroll of Gen 2: 1-3 was given to Adam for safekeeping. It reads: Thus the heavens and all their army came to a completion. And by the seventh day God came to a completion of his work that he had made, and he proceeded to rest on the seventh day, [his desisting from work was/is an ongoing process]' from all the work that he had made. We know that Jehovah keeps working as Jesus said, "My Father has kept working until now and I keep working, (Jhn 5:17).
And God proceeded to bless the seventh day and make it sacred because on it he has been resting from all the work God has created for the purpose of making. This is the history of the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that Jehovah made the earth and heaven. So when did/does Jehovah rest. Jesus said: My Father has kept working until now and I keep working, (Jhn 5:17). So even as recorded at Gen 2:1-3, although he desisted from his work at that time, his work with humankind was only beginning and it will not come to a completion until Jesus's thousand-year reign comes to an end and he hands over his kingdom to his Father, so that God may be all things to everyone, (1Cor 15:28)
LRW~

Get out of her

#5 Post by Get out of her » 3 days ago

Its always so encouraging to witness my dear brothers and sisters earnestly pondering scriptural/spiritual things, and this would certainly include a topic as important as the Sabbath observance. Its all the more encouraging to me when I see the kind of time, thought and effort that Poj has already devoted to it.

To attain an accurate understanding of the ancient Sabbath observance, we would do well to begin by reminding ourselves of scriptures like Hebrews 8:5 where we are informed that basically EVERYTHING about what is commonly referred to as the Old Testament or ancient Mosaic Law Code was ultimately designed to point prophetically and symbolically to a kind of counterpart that would later be manifested as a "REALITY" with the foretold manifestations of SPIRITUAL Israel. (Col 2:17) (Heb 9:24) (Ga 4:24-26) We realize of course that the first of these more SPIRITUAL "births" of a figurative "barren woman" which became fully manifested in 33 CE soon came to be identified not simply as Israel, but (no doubt to help people distinguish it from the previous FLESHLY manifestations of Israel) also with names such as "The Way," "The kingdom of the son of his love," and "Christianity." (Ac 9:2) (Col 1:13) (1 Pe 4:16) (Ga 6:16) (Jer 15:9) (1 Sa 2:5)

Based on this information alone, the issue here then is really not about whether or not we should be observing the Sabbath, but rather what exactly was it being used to "typify" in a symbolic and prophetic sense so we can be absolutely certain we in fact ARE observing it? Scriptures such as Matthew 24:20, 21 are AMONG ones that confirm that this ancient observance would indeed prove to have a fulfillment of some sort also in connection with SPIRITUAL Israel, just as Poj seems to have accurately sensed to at least some degree.

Hopefully therefore nobody would mind if I were to propose we continue this VERY important discussion by posing the question of what exactly was being illustrated symbolically with the ancient Sabbath observance?

Agape love;
Sol