Am I one of the 5 ‘Wise Virgins’?

This is the place to discuss anything to do with scriptural doctrine. It is the primary purpose of this site, and most discussions will be here.
Forum rules
Matt 18:6; Eccl 7:9; 1 Pet 4:8 (If you're not sure what they say then please hover over them with your mouse or look them up in your own Bible before posting)
Kerry Huish

Re: Am I one of the 5 ‘Wise Virgins’?

#61 Post by Kerry Huish » 3 days ago

Some of the things being said on this thread...
Well, it's just beyond crazy.

Reminds me so much of this video clip.

Some of you have exchanged the truth of Gods Word for magic beans and are heavily invested in making others buy and plant what you have.

Galatians 6:7...whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap;

What I have observed is this, many who are born of the spirit or claim to be born of the spirit, cannot be reasoned with, even as many could not be reasoned with in the first century and even as the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses cannot be reasoned with now.

Regarding them Peter wrote: -

2 Peter 2:12...these [men], like unreasoning animals born naturally to be caught and destroyed, will, in the things of which they are ignorant and speak abusively, even suffer destruction in their own [course of] destruction, 13 wronging themselves as a reward for wrongdoing. They consider luxurious living in the daytime a pleasure. They are spots and blemishes, indulging with unrestrained delight in their deceptive teachings while feasting together with YOU.

Think about this, after Jesus was born of the spirit, the Devil came along and tried to push him off course - see Matthew 4.

Do you imagine that one's today who are born of the spirit are immune from the Devils advances, that they are beyond corruption or contamination?

Do you imagine that these ones are left alone by the Devil?

Matthew 24:24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones.

Unfortunately, many who are born of the spirit have been further caught alive by the Devil, and yet they do not even recognise it, nor do they possess the humility needed in order to break free from it.

In the first century, there were many who were overcome.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light.

Many just do not realise or even care to acknowledge that some fish that had been caught in the net are later found to be unsuitable and are thrown back.

Matthew 13:47 “Again the kingdom of the heavens is like a dragnet let down into the sea and gathering up [fish] of every kind. 48 When it got full they hauled it up onto the beach and, sitting down, they collected the fine ones into vessels, but the unsuitable they threw away.

Yes, some have become unsuitable, even after being initially "caught up", do not let them contaminate you...

Note these words: -

2 Timothy 2:23 Further, turn down foolish and ignorant questionings, knowing they produce fights. 24 But a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, keeping himself restrained under evil, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed; as perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth, 26 and they may come back to their proper senses out from the snare of the Devil, seeing that they have been caught alive by him for the will of that one.

All seekers of truth need to be very cautious that they do not exchange the truth of Gods Word for magic beans that will amount to nothing.

And there is certainly not a shortage of ones who believe that they have magic beans and are very eager to share them with you...

Matthew 24:11... many false prophets will arise and mislead many;

Do not let them deceive you.

Proverbs 23:23 Buy truth itself and do not sell it...

Kind Regards

Kerry

Stranger

#62 Post by Stranger » 3 days ago

Did all the Virgins Know each other or were they all just familiar strangers that should have known each other's name?

I ask this because:

"In darkened doorways (Mt.25:5)
the strangest things can happen (Lu 5:26 KJV)
you just don't know who you're talking to (Mt 22:15)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCiC1Nku18

Stranger, (Heb 9:16)

Kerry Huish

#63 Post by Kerry Huish » 3 days ago

Stranger wrote:
3 days ago
Did all the Virgins Know each other or were they all just familiar strangers that should have known each other's name?
The foolish ones certainly 'knew of' the wise ones.
As it is towards the wise that the foolish will 'initially' look, when they realise that their supplies are running out.

Matthew 25:8 The foolish said to the discreet, ‘Give us some of YOUR oil, because our lamps are about to go out.’

Yes, the time will come when the foolish will finally realise that thier lamps do not run on magic beans.
And unfortunately, by then, it will be too late for them to do anything about it.

Matthew 25:11 Afterwards the rest of the virgins also came, saying, ‘Sir, sir, open to us!’ 12 In answer he said, ‘I tell YOU the truth, I do not know YOU.

Luke 13:26 Then YOU will start saying, ‘We ate and drank in front of you, and you taught in our broad ways.’ 27 But he will speak and say to YOU, ‘I do not know where YOU are from. Get away from me, all YOU workers of unrighteousness!’ 28 There is where [YOUR] weeping and the gnashing of [YOUR] teeth will be, when YOU see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves thrown outside.

Seems that having and keeping oil is dependant on a person's attitude towards 'true' spiritual things.

If one truly values something, they sell everything they have in order to obtain the thing desired.

Matthew 13:45 Again the kingdom of the heavens is like a traveling merchant seeking fine pearls. 46 Upon finding one pearl of high value, away he went and promptly sold all the things he had and bought it.

Unfortunately, many just do not seek out pearls of truth anymore, they have become satisfied with synthetic and fake. They have even sold the truth they had in order to obtain what amounts to 'useless' magic beans.

These are the foolish virgins...

Kind Regards

Kerry

Bobcat

#64 Post by Bobcat » 3 days ago

Hi Stranger,

In the setting of a 1st century small town Jewish wedding, it could be assumed that all the women involved in the wedding would know each other, to one extent or another. But in the parable that question is irrelevant. The only issue the parable addresses is whether the groom would acknowledge them (and thus, let them in) when it came time for the wedding banquet. (Mt 25:11, 12)

Nor is any symbolic meaning for the "oil" ever given in the parable. As R. T. France pointed out in his commentary, if the wedding had been given a modern setting the "oil" might well have been replaced with batteries. The "oil" was simply a prop in the parable setting. Interestingly, in the parable the oil was something that all ten virgins acknowledged could be 'bought' from 'those who sell it.' (Mt 25:9, 10) Trying to explain the "oil" as being "Holy Spirit' or "truth" or some other spiritual commodity would lead to additional necessary explanation that might tend to obscure the main point of the parable.

Being always prepared for the groom's unknown time of arrival was the problem all the virgins had to deal with. Or, conversely, the parable teaches that an unprepared disciple's last minute attempts at preparation will ultimately be unsuccessful in connection with the Lord's return.

Bobcat

Notes:

1. As an aside, compare in this post how the word parousia is used in connection with Jesus and the effect Jesus' parousia will have on his disciples. In a number of instances the word is directly related to Jesus' disciples (hopefully) being rewarded. One could expect that it will also be the time when failed disciples will be judged adversely.

2. This post discusses the judgment of Jesus' disciples occurring at the 'manifestation of [Jesus'] parousia,' that is, early in the day of judgment. And thus, at that point in time there would still be a "darkness outside" (Mt 25:30) into which an unfaithful disciple could be cast. In effect, cast out of Jesus' household into the world which would soon after be terminated.

Stranger

#65 Post by Stranger » 2 days ago

Hi Kerry and Bobcat,

Thanks for the replies. I have another question, actually I've got many questions but this particular one is the one I'm interested in at this time, perhaps I'm early with it, that happens now and then.

At (Mt 25:1) it says "then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten virgins." The question is: how can it be like ten when only five are permitted in?

Stranger, (Gal 5:17)

Kerry Huish

#66 Post by Kerry Huish » 2 days ago

Stranger wrote:
2 days ago
Hi Kerry and Bobcat,

Thanks for the replies. I have another question, actually I've got many questions but this particular one is the one I'm interested in at this time, perhaps I'm early with it, that happens now and then.

At (Mt 25:1) it says "then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten virgins." The question is: how can it be like ten when only five are permitted in?

Stranger, (Gal 5:17)
My understanding is this.

When Jesus intervenes at the end of this system of things, the 'whole earth' or the 'complete earth' will then become like 10 virgins.
The 'whole earth' or the 'complete earth' will then be made to stand before Jesus and he will judge one from another, making a separation.

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit down on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.

Some will survive this judgment, and some will not.

The number 10, as far as we were taught when we were Witnesses stands for 'completeness in an earthly' sense.
Of course, I know you will reject anything that is Witness based, but it is what it is and they are not wrong on every point...

it-2 pp. 510-513
Number, Numeral

Ten. Ten is a number denoting fullness, entirety, the aggregate, the sum of all that exists of something. It may be noted also that, where the numbers seven and ten are used together, the seven represents that which is higher or superior and ten represents something of a subordinate nature.

The Ten Plagues poured upon Egypt fully expressed God’s judgments upon Egypt​—all that were needed to humiliate fully the false gods of Egypt and to break the hold of Egypt upon God’s people Israel. The “Ten Words” formed the basic laws of the Law covenant, the approximately 600 other laws merely enlarging on these, elucidating them, and explaining their application. (Ex 20:3-17; 34:28) Jesus used the number ten in several of his illustrations to denote entirety or the full number of something.​—Mt 25:1; Lu 15:8; 19:13, 16, 17.

One of the beasts of Daniel’s vision and certain beasts described in Revelation had ten horns. These evidently represented all the powers, or “kings,” of earth making up the beastly arrangement. (Da 7:7, 20, 24; Re 12:3; 13:1; 17:3, 7, 12) The fullness of the test or period of test that God determines for his servants or allows them to undergo is expressed at Revelation 2:10: “Do not be afraid of the things you are about to suffer. Look! The Devil will keep on throwing some of you into prison that you may be fully put to the test, and that you may have tribulation ten days.”

Not everyone will survive this judgment when Jesus intervenes.
Those who do survive will enter into the Kingdom that has been prepared for them, not as co-rulers with Christ, but as his subjects.
The co-rulers would have already been selected and sealed before Jesus intervenes.

Matthew 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on his right: ‘Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world.

Of course, you are free to believe what you want, other magic beans are available...

Kind Regards

Kerry

Get out of her

#67 Post by Get out of her » 2 days ago

Brother Huish wrote:
Some of the things being said on this thread...
Well, it's just beyond crazy.
While I would have to agree brother Huish that such is indeed the case, we would all do well to consider the fact that the ministry of the first century Apostles and in fact even of Jesus himself prompted comments from people that were very similar to yours. In the case of Jesus these remarks came even from his own immediate family. (Mr 3:21) (Joh 6:60) (Ac 26:24)

This is one of the things in fact that might help us to better appreciate what a dramatic effect the additional anointings the scriptures speak of in connection with the "discreet virgins" really do have on them. I am reminded in fact of the account when such an anointing was spoken of in connection with the ancient King Saul. Jehovah points out that an anointing of his spirit essentially changed Saul him into a different person altogether. (1 Sa 10:9)

I can assure you brother Huish that even up until just 10 or 11 years ago, everything that came out of my mouth in connection with any feeble attempt at a ministry on my part would have sounded very much like that of many of the ones I always associated with in the Watchtower organization, or even much like your own even now. Suddenly however not only did my friends and even my own family begin to imagine I had lost my mind, they also began to identify me as an apostate and in effect "deliver me up to the synagogues." (Lu 21:12) Nevertheless in my own case at least I found the words here in verses 14, 15 to be perfectly true. When I left the organization I was not disfellowshipped, and in fact while I ultimately faced THREE separate "judicial investigations" over the accusations of apostasy including one that was launched against me even from headquarters, not once could the elders bring themselves to impose any disciplinary measures against me whatsoever after hearing what I had to say in reply to these accusations.

What I would humbly ask my dear brothers and sisters to please prayerfully ponder in connection with all of this however would be the following questions:

Since Jehovah obviously does and says NOTHING without having good reason, why do we imagine he went to the trouble of having all these scriptures I just cited penned by his prophets even also for our benefit today. (Ro 15:4) Could it be that this was ultimately all about how after our being subjected all our lives to "teachings and commands of MEN as doctrine" the actual truth of Jehovah's word would sound very much like a foreign language to basically everyone? (Mt 15:9) Could it be because Jehovah was well aware that the messages from his true prophets when they would arrive to prepare the anointed "virgins" for the next foretold "coming of the kingdom" would sound very much like a "NEW song that NO ONE could master" BUT his true prophets, and that by extension this would be one of the ways the anointed "virgins" could identify them? (Re 14:3)

In my case at least I would recognize questions like this as well worth some prayerful consideration.

Agape love;
Sol

Bobcat

#68 Post by Bobcat » 2 days ago

Hi Sol,

Someday you should make a post about your experiences with the WT. From what you said above it sounds like it would be very interesting.

Bobcat

Kerry Huish

#69 Post by Kerry Huish » 2 days ago

Sorry Sol,

I just cannot follow or agree with many of your teachings.

The 7 apostasies, rebirths and marriages, its not a scriptural teaching.
That Jesus performed miracles when he was a child? I have not read this in any of the gospels.

I know where this story can be found and the book belongs next to Harry Potter, not as part of the inspired Word of God.

To be teaching it, frankly, it's a shame and an embarrassment.

2 John 9 Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son.

The way you present your arguments, it's just not sound.

1 Corinthians 14:7 As it is, the inanimate things give off sound, whether a flute or a harp; unless it makes an interval to the tones, how will it be known what is being played on the flute or on the harp? 8 For truly, if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? 9 In the same way also, unless YOU through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? YOU will, in fact, be speaking into the air.

I have asked of you, quite some time ago, to make clear what you are saying but you refused.

As I said earlier, what I continue to observe is this, many who are born of the spirit or claim to be born of the spirit, cannot be reasoned with. The Devil comes along and swaps any truth they might have for magic beans.

Luke 8:12 Those alongside the road are the ones that have heard, then the Devil comes and takes the word away from their hearts in order that they may not believe and be saved.

Until the Master arrives and sets all matters right, these 'magic bean' teachings must remain.
I can only hope that I help at least some to spot these counterfeit truths and avoid them.

Luke 17:1 Then he said to his disciples: “It is unavoidable that causes for stumbling should come. Nevertheless, woe to the one through whom they come!

Kind Regards

Kerry

Stranger

#70 Post by Stranger » 2 days ago

Bobcat wrote:
3 days ago
Interestingly, in the parable the oil was something that all ten virgins acknowledged could be 'bought' from 'those who sell it.' (Mt 25:9, 10) Trying to explain the "oil" as being "Holy Spirit' or "truth" or some other spiritual commodity would lead to additional necessary explanation that might tend to obscure the main point of the parable.

Being always prepared for the groom's unknown time of arrival was the problem all the virgins had to deal with. Or, conversely, the parable teaches that an unprepared disciple's last minute attempts at preparation will ultimately be unsuccessful in connection with the Lord's return.
Hi Bobcat,

It would be nice to know if the foolish ones had any oil to begin with (Mt 25:3), and also if the wise ones purchased their own initial reserve? (Mt 25:9)

Looking at the parable from the partial explanation given above I can see the Value of being ready even down to the most mysterious of details. (Heb 5:11-12)

Stranger, (2Cor 5:6)